Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Not much of an update....

Well, I don't have much to update you with. School started in August, and my wife began her first teaching job, so with both of us teaching all day and then dealing with normal family stuff in the evenings, I haven't done much. My neighbor is supposed to be coming over to pour a new concrete floor for me in the garage, but he is currently covered up in construction work right now (a good problem for him to have, in this economy!) and isn't sure when he'll be able to do it.

I finished up the airbox, and have it stored in a plastic bin. I've now decided to start with some small things, until the garage at least has a floor in it, and I have more time! On the AlfaBB site, a gentleman started his rstoration by removing the tail lights and working on them. I think that's a great idea! I will be able to spend a little time on something like that over Thanksgiving and Christmas, and not take up too much room with storing it. Then, I'll have a couple of nice items that I can look at to keep my enthusiasm for this project going! Small steps, right?
What do y'all think of this idea?
Happy Thanksgiving!

Monday, June 29, 2009

Cleaning the Airbox

Well I am disheartened today by the progress on the garage. I need to put in concrete, but I just don't know if I can. Stay tuned.

So, on a better note, I decided to attack part of the car. A book I have been reading, "How To Restore Your Collector Car," says that one of the best ways to attack a car that's in the shape mine is, is one assembly at a time. It says that when you remove a part or assembly, work on that assembly until it is ready to go back on the car. So I decided that with the lack of garage, I could at least start attacking some smaller items. So with my helper Riley, I removed the rusty airbox and began working on it. (See what it looked like before here: Engine Compartment)

I used a wire wheel on a drill, and took most of the paint and rust off. I then switched to some sanding discs, and got it nice and shiny. Then I applied some primer to the pieces, let them dry, and then sprayed them with some gloss black automotive paint. It looks nice!

Riley also recommended taking the wire wheel to the air plenum to see what would happen. It looks shiny and new now, and so I attacked the crankcase cover. So I've at least gotten started with something on here!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wiring harness

I have found a wiring harness for the car. Classic wiring has one for me, but it won't be available until the end of July. So now I have to decide if I want that to be the big expenditure for the year. That means I'll have to find some cheap stuff to work on until it comes....

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Currently in the garage...

Well, my first order of business is to get the old garage I have ready to use. It has a gravel floor, and no door, and a bunch of junk. I would like to pour a little concrete in it, and somehow get some electric out to it. If anyone in GA would like to help with some volunteer help, that would be great!

Meanwhile, here are some pics after I washed it off, just soap and water.

What it looked like when we got it......

Here are some more pics of the new project:

What it should look like

This is a reprint of an article from my blog from last summer:

Here is a picture of Mr. Rod Burdick's restored Giulia SS. I am planning on meeting him in RI in two weeks, so I can see what the Alfa is supposed to look like!
Article and more pics.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

The engine compartment

Engine 2

Engine 1

Welcome to the New Blog!

Thanks for visiting! This site will have updates on the work I am doing on a 1965 Alfa-Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale. My father-in-law bought this in Italy brand new, and now we have inherited it. It has been sitting in a barn in KY for the last 25 years, and has a lot of rust and damage. Wish me luck!!!