Monday, June 29, 2009

Cleaning the Airbox

Well I am disheartened today by the progress on the garage. I need to put in concrete, but I just don't know if I can. Stay tuned.

So, on a better note, I decided to attack part of the car. A book I have been reading, "How To Restore Your Collector Car," says that one of the best ways to attack a car that's in the shape mine is, is one assembly at a time. It says that when you remove a part or assembly, work on that assembly until it is ready to go back on the car. So I decided that with the lack of garage, I could at least start attacking some smaller items. So with my helper Riley, I removed the rusty airbox and began working on it. (See what it looked like before here: Engine Compartment)

I used a wire wheel on a drill, and took most of the paint and rust off. I then switched to some sanding discs, and got it nice and shiny. Then I applied some primer to the pieces, let them dry, and then sprayed them with some gloss black automotive paint. It looks nice!

Riley also recommended taking the wire wheel to the air plenum to see what would happen. It looks shiny and new now, and so I attacked the crankcase cover. So I've at least gotten started with something on here!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wiring harness

I have found a wiring harness for the car. Classic wiring has one for me, but it won't be available until the end of July. So now I have to decide if I want that to be the big expenditure for the year. That means I'll have to find some cheap stuff to work on until it comes....